A (Very Gentle) Swedish Rebuttal
On July 2, I mused about the people of Stockholm and what I thought made them tick. I stated then that I really didn't think I knew what I was talking about.
Fortunately, Liv's little sister Rebecca took the time to help me understand the situation better. I asked her if I could post her letter to me and she kindly agreed.
So here's a clearer picture of the situation:
Hello there Sean! Rebecca, Liv's little sister here. I hope your all doing well, and that your continuing trip was fun.
I read your blog and saw your pictures and thought I'd try to answer some of your questions, at least the ones concerning housing, the government, and the song
Regarding your thoughts of rich/poor, owning/renting: there used to be a lot bigger differences in housing, for example in the sixties/seventies before the "million program" (a project to create 1000 000 new homes during a few years), there were many very worn down apartment buildings. A key question for the leftist government (we'll get back to that later) has been to improve poor housing, to make housing as equal as possible, and with that, lessen the gap between rich and poor, and let even those in the suburbs live in "nice" environments. 
You see the big divider in Stockholm is (according to me at least) where you live. You saw the nice inner city, whereas the "million program" buildings in suburbs are a lot bigger, greyer, concrete and alike. (Please see enclosed pictures, these are a little nicer than the typical "million"-building, but these are the ones I see from my workplace). But, you were sort of right in saying the divide was between renters/owners, since most rental-apartments within the cities are being turned into condos, forcing the not-so-well-off into the suburbs.
It's all connected, as always 

The government: I'm sorry to say it wouldn't be quite accurate to call the country -- well, at least not the politics -- socialist.
Sweden has been governed by a socialdemocratic government most of the time since we got common and equal suffrage. This used to mean a worker friendly, welfare creating, for-real-leftist government, but since we entered the EU, we are not allowed to engaged in any other kind of politics than the EU's neoliberal right wing stuff, regardless what we vote for.
But maybe some day it will be better.
To top off with something cheerier: the song!
I took the liberty to translate it word-by-word for you, so it's a little un-singable. Even though we did not sing it, I added the second verse (there are at least eight), in case you had missed that it is about death.
We gradually trot along
from bacchi noise and tumult
when Death calls, neigbour come,
your hourglass is full
you old man, put down your crutch
and you you youth, obey my law,
the most beautiful nymph that smiles at you,
take under the arm
--If you think the grave is too deep
well, then have yourself a drink
take then ditto one, ditto two, ditto three
and you'll die happier
You at your glass and press
drunk and with your hat askew
soon strides along your funeral march
in two black lines
and you there who talks so big
with ribbons and stars upon your coat
already the carpenter has made the coffin
and is smoothing the lid
-- If you (and so on)
Say are you happy, neighbour say,
then praise the world now finally;
if we have the same way to go,
then let's accompany each other, drink up
but first with wine red and white
for our hostess we bow
and then trip freely into the grave,
at the light of the evening star
-- If you (and so on)
Take care, and say hello to everyone!
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment