Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ten Years

June 21, 1996 was my first day at TransWorld and tonight we crusty old timers were honored at a party at the Leo Carrillo ranch. It was a lot of fun.

Not that it was some great oratory, but for purely personal posterity reasons, here's pretty close to what I said on the mic:

"This really wasn't supposed to happen.

I don't know if you remember your first day at Transworld, but I sure do. I remember that halfway through the Conny Jones fire extinguisher tour, I began to panic.

Everyone was so cool and so creative and so knowledgeable about the sports they covered. I thought to myself, "There's no way I'm going to be able to keep up with this."

But then something amazing happened.

People like Kevin Kinnear and Fran Richards and Brian Sellstrom and Tim Wrisley and Louise Balma showed me a ton of support. I realized that not only had I found a job that I loved; I had found a second family.

Since then, everything that could change has changed. New faces. New bosses. New magazines. New owners. New opportunities. Things at TransWorld have never been static.

There's one thing that hasn't changed, however. That's the feeling of awe I have for the people who work at Transworld and the job that you do.

It's an honor and a privilege to work with you all.

Thank you so very much.


Framed covers of the first issue I worked on at Transworld (volume 8#1 of SNOWboarding Business) and the issue that shipped closest to my ten-year anniversary (the June 2006 issue of TransWorld Business).

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP