Community Day
Carlsbad is a nice place to live, and I made an effort to feel part of the community today.
Overnight, the Esperanza Fire died down a bit as the hot, dry Santa Ana winds begin to lull. There's no sign of ash falling from the sky. It's a blue morning. The air quality still isn't great, but looking out my kitchen window I can see Palomar Mountain 30 miles away.
It's flat as a pancake though -- I look at the surf but give it a pass.
Late midmorning, after heading to the gym for a full workout, we drive down the street to Magnolia for the Annual Fall Festival. It's 80 degrees, but it sure feels hotter than that. The girls dress up in costumes and we spend about two hours down there. I catch up with Tim Wrisley, which is great. We stand on the sidelines as his daughter plays soccer. He laughs that her nickname is "LLD" or "last line of defense," his pride beaming.
But the bulk of the day is spent at the Gasaways for Summer's seventh B-day party. They live about a half mile away as the bird flies, closer to the lagoon. It's a fun time and we stay to the bitter end -- five hours in fact. Mike's homebrew beer is very good and the girls have a great time with Reece and Summer.
I also got to know some Magnolia parents that I see everyday when I walk the girls out to the blacktop at school, but never have a chance to really talk to.
I'm pooped now though. I talked a ton today. But I feel more connected to -- and part of -- Carlsbad than I have in a while, and that's a nice feeling.
Looking rather flat down at Tamarack.
Magnolia Elementary School
Mike gets the candles going on the birthday cookie.
Hannah beats a dead horse.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment