Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's The End Of The World As We Know It...

I've been strangely intrigued by the whole "end of the world" thing since I was in junior high school and Alas Babylon was one of my favorite books. Dr. Strangelove is another nuclear Armageddon story (albeit totally funny) that I like.

I remember ABC's The Day After, which 100-million people tuned in to in 1983. (So I guess I'm not alone.) One of my high school projects was mapping what a full-scale nuclear war would look like, down to the total-destruction blast zones for each city.

It was totally morbid and in hindsight a wee-bit disturbing. I was never some survivalist type bound for the remote Idaho backcountry, but I admit that wiping the slate clean and beginning again did have a strange appeal. It was usually more akin to David Byrne's Nothing But Flowers than David Koresh though. (Thank God!)

Things are different now, however. I have two daughters to think of and I want the world that they inherit to be as livable and as magical for them as it is for me. That's why I didn't enjoy reading The Long Emergency and have little desire to read the most likely far more articulate Twilight In The Desert.

Slim Pickens riding a 1960s nuke bronco bull style is funny. Thinking about world economic and social collapse isn't.


Slim Pickens Rides The Bomb

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP