The Concert
After the bike ride I did some chores around the house but was pretty slack. The afternoon came and I jumped on the I-5 south -- making absolutely sure I had the concert tickets.
Christy was still making Almond Roca at Marsha's, so I spent sunset at the Torrey Pines glider port watching the now full-bloom swell boom out of the La Jolla undersea canyon and wail on Black's Beach. Paragliders zoom over my head.
I met up with Christy and we got down to Rimac at around 5:30 p.m. and were pretty far up in the line. It is a general admission concert. Once inside we sat ourselves right up near the stage with all the other sixteen and seventeen year olds.
It was worth it. We had a great view, right up front and ten feet from the stage. This didn't seem like a big deal until we looked back and saw that the whole arena had filled.
It was a long haul, though. We were on our feet for about four hours. Silversun Pickups were entertaining. Pete Yorn a bit of a disappointment and uneven. His hits were great though. Then it got really crowded and the throngs pushed up towards stage in anticipation of The Shins. It was hot and sweaty but a fun, trouble-free crowd and everyone looked after each other.
The Shins were incredible. It's been a while since I've been to a concert where I sang along with almost every song. The new tracks from their upcoming "Wincing The Night Away" release next month were very good too. Some at least as good as Phantom Limb.
We were pooping out by now, sweaty and packed together. Security sprayed the audience with water and threw out a few water bottles, but it was no use. Modest Mouse came on and we lasted about three songs before waving the white flag and pushing our way towards the back.
Outside it was raining and it poured all the way home. The sound of the downpour drumming on the bedroom ceiling.
warning: really poor-quality camera phone photos coming up.
Sunset at Black's as the paragliders zoom by.
Black's at a solid ten-feet, looking downright scary as the light begins to fade.
Christy, hyped.
The crowd.
Pete Yorn.
The Shins!
Johhny Marr, formerly of The Smiths, is now lead guitar for Modest Mouse.
Saturday, December 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment