Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Road To Hana



The eastern side of Maui is accessible only by a narrow road that snakes past rocky cliffs and green valleys and impossibly beautiful waterfalls. Dozens of single-lane bridges slow up the traffic -- as do the hundreds of curves. But that's okay, because "The Road To Hana" has been called "the world's most beautiful drive" and it would be a shame to rush it.

We stop at a Shell station for the CD "audio guide" to the road -- an idea that I initially poo-pooed, but one that was a great call. Our friendly narrator tells us what we're looking at, which stops to make, and which sideroads to explore.

It takes a full three hours to drive across to Hana, and we're all a bit eggy when we arrive. Hana is exposed and raw, the sky a low grey; rain scud and an expensive lunch. If we could magically appear back at our hotel now it would be the perfect day. Instead we have a tough (really tough it turns out) drive back home.

I hang on from the very back of the minivan -- but just barely. I'm rarely car sick, but there's no escaping it today. I try to shove aside those memories, but it's a close call.

I'm pretty sure I never need to drive the Road to Hana again.


After discovering that Honolua Bay is still flat, I drive up to Honokahau Bay as the sun begins to rise.


Rainbow Eucalyptus closeup on the Road to Hana.


Honomanu Bay on Maui's northeast coast.


The Ke'anae Arboretum is a long ways from anything, but is super beautiful.


In my mind, this is the most iconic Maui shot of the whole trip.


The Ke'anae Arboretum


By Nua'ailua Point.


The windblown and rugged Ke'anae Point.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP