Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Glider Port Ride

The last longish bike ride I took was way back on September 2, so I took advantage of my freedom this morning by riding down to the Torrey Pines glider port. This is quite a bit shorter than the ride to Cypress Cove, which is almost exactly 60 miles, but the hills make this one a smidge tougher in places.

I stopped by Swami's and was delighted to see that the Gary Taylor Memorial was finally complete. It bugged me that it had stood vandalized for so long.

The climb up the Torrey Pines grade was hard, but not the ball buster that I remember. Maybe it's the bike or just my better overall fitness level. The glider port was quiet. Nobody flying. The surf, however, looked pretty fun at Black's. After a few minutes I started the long ride home.

I did have a chance to push myself on the way back. In Del Mar I could hear a group of cyclists coming up from behind. Four girls in their late twenties. All of them on super trick triathlon rigs and geared up head to toe. "Sorry we had to take you out," one of them jokes, friendly, as they pass me by.

That was all it took. I was damn certain I wasn't going to be completely dropped by them if I could possibly help it. My competitive streak took hold. The four of them together were super fast. I was fortunate I got a helpful stoplight to keep in contact with them. But then three of them turned off the road in Solana Beach. "Nice day to be out," the last remaining cyclist grinned at me as we waited at a light. "Sure is," I replied, trying hard not to gasp for air as I stood in my sweated out T-shirt.

I could barely, just barely, stay up with her as we headed up into Carlsbad, and I was glad -- really, really glad -- when she turned off PCH and headed inland at La Costa Avenue.

The ride was 46.2 miles and took 3 hours, 8 minutes. My average speed was a stately 14.73 mph; my max speed was 37.23 mph.


The Gary Taylor memorial, finally complete.


The view of Black's with La Jolla in the background.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP