A Fun Sort Of Monotony
The headwind is strong this afternoon and it takes 30 minutes of solid paddling to reach the caves. Liam is up front in the double kayak and never stops talking -- he's a lot like Hannah. This would be fine, but with the wind in my ears and the splash of the paddles (and the fact that I'm deaf as a post), I can't understand a word he's saying. He's a sweet kid though, and very concerned about sharks.
As the sea cliffs loom near we reach protected waters. Sea Lions bark and Garibaldi fish as big as dinner plates swim beneath us over the shallow reef. We paddle in and out of the caves, the surf still gentle.
It's a lot like what we did yesterday, when the wind was far less and I could see dozens and dozens of large Leopard Sharks swimming over the sandbars near shore, their long muscular bodies moving graceful as dancers.

Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment