Speed Demon
I sleep like a log and awake at first light, shower, and then grab my camera and go for a walk. The weather has cleared and Mt Hood is pink and then golden as the sun rises. I walk down the road, hoping to get a view of Mt Adams. Walking across the clear cut, I startle a deer, which bounds away in fear. Don't worry fella, you scared the crap out of me as well.
I head up an old logging road which steadily climbs. After a mile I'm sweating up a storm and I'm still a ways from my panorama shot. Oh well. I head back in time for breakfast.
During the night, other guests have arrived: a couple from Vancouver with their 22-month old daughter and an older trio from Israel. We sit around the large kitchen table -- which has huge views of the mountains and valley -- and talk. It's an interesting discussion, and deeper and more frank than what you'd find at a hotel. It's part of the B&B experience, and I like it.
The food is excellent as well: homemade scones, coffee, juice, fresh fruit, turkey sausage, eggs, and a wonderful croissant french toast with orange zest. I tell Jerry, you should put the recipe on your Web site. "Nope, you have to visit to taste this," he replies with a grin. Touche.
The only problem with breakfast being so good is that it's now 9:15 a.m. and my flight is at 11:00 a.m., 75 miles away. I make my goodbyes and haul ass down the dirt roads and absolutely bomb down the Gorge and arrive twenty minutes before my flight without a lot of hope that I'd make it. Fortunately it's delayed, which is a good thing considering the security checkpoint is a mile long.

The view from the back deck of Husum Highlands Bed & Breakfast.

Husum Highlands B&B.

0 comments:
Post a Comment