Sydney's Luau Beach B-Day Party Extraordinaire
This morning at 8:00 a.m. I drive the van down to Moonlight Beach in Encinitas to stake out a fire pit for Sydney's birthday party this afternoon. A few surfers are on the fun peak out front, but all is quiet besides that.
But I'm not the first that morning. In fact, most of the tables and fire pits have already been scooped up. How early did they get here? I stake out one of the few remaining spots and leave a blanket, ice chest, beach chairs, and pallets (for firewood). I hope no one messes with them. This, apparently, is a popular idea.
At around 4:00 p.m. we all make it back to the beach and it's crowded with parties. The girls play in the water. Liz and Lisa both show up with their kids. Hmm...
I roast weenies on the portable gas grill. Sydney blows out the candles on the cupcakes. She's all smiles and having a great time. We start a small fire and roast S-Mores. Then the wives break open a bottle of wine with giggles. I sidle up and remind them that the big group next to us is actually an AA meeting. Whoops!
I throw a heavy pallet on the fire and the flames rise high and heavy. Embers and smoke head over to the AAers. Soon their meeting breaks. Slightly embarrassed, we're happy when our fire subsides. The evening falls and it gets dark in a hurry. Another group takes over the AA fire pit, filling it with huge logs. Masssive logs. They stack the pit until the wood is piled four feet tall. Ten minutes later it looks like a forest fire. Our flare-up looking small in comparison. 







Friday, July 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment