Frozen Alive!
You know, we're never going to have space travel licked until we can safely store away our brave astronauts in suspended animation, a sort of celestial hibernation. I don't know about you, but the very thought creeps me out. I can just imagine it not working properly, still being awake but unable to move as they stick you in the space pod for your two-year trip to Mars. "Wait! Wait! I'm still awake!" you'd scream, except that no one could hear you because, well, you look like a Popsicle.
Today felt a little like that. With the ASR trade show over and two long, long days in the aisles complete, I really couldn't do much except try to prove to the world that I wasn't catatonic. Alas, I don't think I was too successful.
I woke up at 8:00 a.m. alone (Christy still has a cold and has been sleeping on the couch downstairs). By 9:00 a.m. I had my first snooze on the floor in front of the TV. Then a shower and a longer rest before we drove up to San Clemente to pick up the girls from Grandpa JP's (where they had spent the weekend). Then I had a real nap, read restfully in the bathtub (Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island because it was near at hand -- I was too tired to find Spook Country) and then I fell asleep again. It was like I had trypanosomiasis or was being prepared for space flight.
But the last few days were a lot of fun. Last night especially is a good time. You'll have to read (and see) the details on www.surfexpo.com, but Liquid Nation 4 is a humanitarian benefit at the house of Reef Founder Fernando Aguerre, who generously opens it up to 300 invited guests, a video production company, and about 100 staff.
A coworker of mine fell ill, so most of my crew stayed with her, but there were still many familiar faces to enjoy. I even met Josh's mythical girlfriend. She really does exist! (She was also very nice.) It was especially gratifying when Dr. Dave Jenkins from SurfAid International sought me out to chat. He's a total hero of mine and the reason Liquid Nation formed in the first place.
Okay, I need some rest. Here are a few photos, but check out www.surfexpo.com for more on Liquid Nation 4. Then log on to SurfAid International and make a donation. You won't regret it.
Fernando's house, where Liquid Nation has been held for the last four years, is an awesome place to escape to after the madness and non-stop talking of the trade show.
Sunset from the top of Mt Soledad. I continued my tradition of leaving the show in the afternoon and taking a long walk along the La Jolla coastline (From Marine street to the Sea Caves), then changing my clothes clandestinely in the parking lot of Mt Soledad as the sun goes down.
Me and Melissa from the Board Retailers Association at the party.
Amy + Josh, Mike, Melissa, and Travis.
The Lawn Of Love, where a bunch of stuff was auctioned off for charity.

0 comments:
Post a Comment