Friday, October 19, 2007

Joshua Tree



My destination is West Siberia, and it's just about as far as it sounds. A long dirt trail snakes off across the desert to a far outcrop of rock. My destination is past that outcrop, past an even more distant rock formation call Land's End and then out across another wide valley. West Siberia is a "new" climbing area, in that it wasn't in Randy Vogel's 1993 Rock Climbing Joshua Tree guide, which remains the bible of the area.

The area is on the outskirts of the Wonderland Of Rock. What a perfect description. For as far as I can see, the domes and pinnacles of the Joshua Tree Wilderness loom up, white and brown. It's the largest climbing area in the world and nearly incomprehensible in its variety and scope. The area is so big that it seems limitless -- perhaps it it. I certainly have only explored a tiny portion of it since I started coming here in 1993.

But today I'm making a deep reconnaissance. It's hot and sunny. I can feel the sun on my calves and sweat on my face as I walk away from the parking lot toward that spot in the far distance.


Doofus, a long way out toward West Siberia, Outer Mongolia, Joshua Tree National Park.


Asian Fever (5.8 ***) on Asian Fever Buttress, Outer Mongolia. I circled the bolts in red. Supposedly there are seven, but I could find only six. Nevertheless, it looks like it protects pretty well, and you could always climb up the crack (Yellow Peril, 5.5 **) to the anchor up top. This one, despite being almost four miles from the parking lot, is a must do. I'll be back.


Big Red, back at Camp.


Kicking back at Jumbo Rocks campground.


The moon was bright and Friday night was beautiful.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP