
Back In The Pit
I attended my first SIA Show back in 1994, when I was senior editor for Outdoor Retailer magazine. It was the era of Yellow Bus and 340 different snowboard brands. A gold rush that will never be seen again.
I may have missed one show since then, but probably not two -- definitely not three. It was one of the biggest dates on the calendar when I was managing editor at SNOWboarding Business.
My loyalty is rewarded at the press check in line today, where I quickly snag a badge and a friendly, recognizing smile. The show is crowded and the snowboarding industry at a crossroads -- several retailers are asking for very aggressive terms in order to stay profitable in the snow market. The show is huge, but all the booths are in the same place from show to show, so it's pretty easy to navigate.
For some companies, this is my third time seeing them: Orlando, San Diego, Las Vegas. For others, this is the one time of the year I can say hello and catch up -- especially those companies from Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and the Northeast. I'm honored and flattered that so many of them know that I've left TransWorld and how they seem interested in hearing how I'm enjoying my time at Surf Expo.
So it's a fun day in the aisles, seeing old friends and acquaintances, snooping for the scoopa scoops, and looking at all the shiny new gear.
Almost makes being in Las Vegas bearable.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment