J Tree Day 3: More Flowers, Rocks, n Stuff
When we pulled up to the entrance to the park on Thursday, I asked the ranger what was blooming. "Everything," he replied. At the time I thought it was a bit of a smartass answer, but now I understand it wasn't. For the last three days we've been surrounded by flowers in a way I'd never expect a desert could offer.
The walk out to Lost Horse Mine is no exception, everywhere you look is another floral display in yellows, blues, reds, and whites. The mine, which produced 10,000 ounces of gold and 16,000 ounces of silver (worth approximately $5 million today) between 1894 and 1931, is at the end of a steady but moderate 2 mile climb. The remains of the winter can be seen on the snowclad San Gorgonio, the highest peak (11,500 feet) in Southern California.



Every step you took, you were trampling flowers.
The hike out to Lost Horse Mine.





Lost Horse Gold Mine, with San Gorgonio (11,500 feet) in the background.
Finding a shady spot on a hot day. Stirrup Tank.

The view from the afternoon, from the top of the Jumbo Rocks hill.



0 comments:
Post a Comment