Thursday, April 10, 2008

J-Tree Day One



Joshua Tree National Park is a huge (1,200 square mile) area about three hours northeast of San Diego in the California desert. It's the largest rock climbing area in the world with more than 4,000 named routes. In the fifteen years that I've been going there, I've climbed less than 100 of them. So, let me tell you, I'm not claiming even to be a mediocre climber.

It's also been almost three years since I've climbed on real rock. So as I walk to the base of the west wall of the Hall Of Horrors, I'm feeling nervous. Fortunately we'll be toproping the climbs today instead of leading them, which pretty much takes any danger out of the equation as long as you're paying attention and do things the right way.

The whole desert is in bloom and the temperature is perfect.

Shoeing up on "Buckets to Burbank." A 5.8 TR


Yet another climbing butt shot. This one by Sydney of me on "buckets".


"Hey, it's like real climbing!" Scratching off all the climbing rust as the climb gets interesting.


Ready to belay Christy and I'm parched.


Christy makes smooth work of the bottom half.


Nearly there.


The Hannahnator, with the silliness factor on overkill.


Sydney, showing the benefits of flexibility on "Holds To Hollywood." 5.4


Sydney on Holds To Hollywood.


The Bean, heading up toward the steeper stuff.


Back on the ground, enjoying a well-earned rest.


The entire desert is in bloom. There were displays like this just about everywhere you turned.



As the sun begins to set, Hannah keeps an eye out for kye-yotes.

1 comments:

Anonymous 3:05 AM  

Great to see you guys climbing again. Wish I could been there.../b

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP