Family Time
Woke up in Mammoth and made the two-hour drive down to Lone Pine and was there by mid morning. I’m trying to steel myself for the day ahead: might be a tad slow as we sit in the doublewide with Christy’s grandparents.
I keep telling myself that this may be the highlight of their month, getting time with their granddaughter and great-grandchildren, so I put on my calm mask and make conversation and am polite.
They really are nice (in their own way), so it's not too hard.
After an hour of very slow conversation, we escape to the park where Grandpa Bob works. I play on the jungle gym with the girls, then we're over to Carl’s Junior for lunch (whoopie!), and a quick stroll around the Lone Pine Film Museum gets us to Bob and Cleo's nap time.
We head over to check into the hotel, but the room isn't ready yet. Just as well in that it forces us to make use of our time. We head up to the Whitney Portal, the Vanagon crawling up the grade in second gear. The temperature drops and our moods improve. The waterfall was pretty; the water frigid – a nice change from the 100-degree heat of below.
Later we got pizza and went back to their trailer.
It wasn't too bad I guess.
The lonesome 395.
Nice hair.
Cleo and the girls.
The road outside Bob and Cleo's.
Mt. Whitney (on right) with Day and Keeler Needle on left.
Them thar water's cold, boy howdy! Sydney at the Whitney Portal.
Looking back down the long grade up to the Whitney Portal.
Our tired Van, now at 205,000 miles.
Friday, August 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I came to your site accidentally and I had to comment. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I'll have to try and make it to Yosemite one day.
Try to visit Yosemite Valley in the winter after a heavy snowfall. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the kind words.
Sean
Post a Comment