Friday, August 04, 2006

Roles and Rolls

Dinner at my dad's club tonight and I can't say I really had that good of a time, which is a drag.

When I'm with my brother and sister, I fall automatically into the kid brother role. I'm sure it's mostly my fault, but it's also the family dynamic that has been created over the years.

Both my brother and my sister called me by the names of their children tonight, which seriously wouldn't be a big deal if it just would happen to someone in addition to me once (even once) in a while.

The hitch in the giddyup though is that I do feel like I retreat about a dozen (two dozen?) years when we're all together. I'm pretty sure being aware of that is a good thing.

So I need to figure out a different role for myself in these family gatherings or I need to have a stronger sense of self so I don't feel so rotten when we fall into old, familiar roles.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP