Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sea Kayaking

It's Thursday and I'm ducking out the back in twenty minutes, heading down to La Jolla to go sea kayaking through the caves and out to the kelp beds. Then off to dinner tonight down in La Jolla with Christy, Janet, and Creed. Then back to their house for a night spent sleeping by the sea. I hope the clouds clear and the moon comes out.

It's going to be a fun day, but won't have time to ruminate until manana.

She's going to dream of the world she wants to live in.
She's going to dream out loud.


--Later--

The cliffs loom overhead, overhanging, and riddled with sea caves. The ocean is choppy and the skies grey as consistent sets roll in, filling the caves with whitewater and foam. I'm at the mouth of one, trying to get my timing right, carefully wondering how deep the water is behind one huge pillar deep in the cave. Finally, I take a calculated risk and paddle into the deep shade of the cave, and shivers rise up my back as I wonder if this is so smart.

I paddle around the pillar and make a smart left turn and stroke back out. Christy and Conner are laughing their asses off when they see my serious face, but their smiles quickly fade when I say, "Your turn."

Conner is up to the task and paddles in, Christy says later she was a little more reluctant. The double kayak is a bigger boat and harder to turn, but they make it in and out with no mishaps. Conner's face is all smiles.

The paddle is great. We see dolphins and sea lions and paddle up and down the cliffs. I wish I had a waterproof camera because it was spectacular.

Later, after a shower, I sit on the deck in jeans and bare feet and watch Christy surf. Then Conner grabs the kayak and heads back out -- launching from the beach right outside the rental, where the surf is much larger. He manages to make it out and I'm cheering for him, but also grin broadly when he's cleaned up by a set.

We stayed at the rental for dinner. Tacos and beer and conversation. Creed and Janet humor me with my lowlight photos. Trying to stay totally still for five seconds is pretty hard.


La Jolla Sea Caves



La Jolla Village City Light



Janet and Creed, flash free night shot.


'Must...hold...still......"



Jennifer and Caitlin

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP