Idle A While or An Ideal Wild?
It’s been a long time since I made the semi-long drive up to Idyllwild, probably since Brian and I climbed Fingertip Traverse. Christy, still coughing constantly, is working today, so it’s to the mountains for me and the kids this morning.
Sydney spent last night at a friend’s house and was super surly this morning. I had to listen to her bitterly complain about going for the first hour of the drive.
But by the time we climbed out of Anza and into the forested ranch country along Highway 74, she admitted she was having a good time and that it was pretty. Hannah is so easy going that she never complained.
We made it to Humber park by noon and started up Devil’s Slide, which would be a great weekend backpack. (I did spot more than a few backpackers making their way down the trail.) It's warm -- proabably 80 degrees -- but cloudy and humid.
Starting at 6,280 feet, Devil’s Slide is a steady climb, offering great views of Tahquitz and Suicide Rock across the valley.
I had a nice time, but I’m still not sure that the four hours of driving was worth the two hours of hiking.
Better than sitting home alone I guess.
Sydney at around 7,000 feet on Devil's Slide.
Switchback break. Devil's Slide leads all the way up to the 10,800 foot Mount San Jacinto.
I had a good time on the trail.
Suicide rocks. The largest face is the Weeping Wall, where I took my biggest leader fall ever (and walked away without a scratch).
The hulking mass of Tahquitz, which I climbed at midnight under a full moon once upon a time.
The very intimidating North Face Of Tahquitz.
The girls stop for a Corn Nuts break.
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment