Election Day
With the polls still open, it's too early to know how things turned out for this election. Early signs appear good, but there's one thing I'm absolutely certain of: I'm glad it's over.
The TV commercials are horrible, but easy to ignore. But that's not the only tactic campaigns are using these days.
We're on the "do not call" registry, but that doesn't help when it comes to political messages. All weekend long our phone rang every twenty minutes. The vast majority of these intrusions were recorded political ads. It was fun at first, "Oh, it's Robert Redford calling," or "Bill Clinton! So nice to talk to you again!" or "Come on! Just say, 'I'll be back!' once and I'll vote for you Ah-nold!"
But by the fifth or sixth or tenth time you ran down the stairs only to have Hilary Rodham on the other end, it gets really old.
The phone has been pretty quiet tonight--although Bob (that's what I call him now) Redford did call during dinner, urging me to "do my part."
I'll also be glad to see all the political signs go. They clog up every median in a blizzard of confusing, pithy one-liners. There was a minor scandal here in Carlsbad two weeks ago when one of the candidates (I can't find which) was accused of removing his opponent's signs from the busier streets.
Give that man a medal I say.
Anyway, it will be over soon and hopefully with good results.
There's a riot going on downstairs. I'm watching Hannah, Sydney, Summer and Reece while Christy and Heather go to a Daisy Girl Scout training meeting. The kids are watching Castles In The Sky. It's incredible how loud four little girls can be.
Time to go practice my mean dad voice. (Naw, not really.)
Every street is clogged with election signs.
With temps in the 80s and a nice swell running, election day 2006 was a stunner.
On the way to my local polling place, driving along Aqua Hedionda lagoon.
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment