Friday, April 20, 2007

The Coffee Pot Rant

I broke the glass carafe of my old battered Mr. Coffee about a month ago. I've been making stove-top espresso ever since, but that's a hassle and I end up buzzing like I've grabbed a high-tension wire afterwards.

A few weeks ago I went to Smart & Final and bought a replacement carafe, took it home, and realized it didn't fit. Wrong size. Silly me. So I went to Target and got the right one -- except that it wasn't. Another "close but no cigar" replacement. Fool me twice ...

Sigh.

I took the Target carafe back this morning, got my $16 refund, went back to the coffee pot aisle, and was blown away. (Here comes the rant.) Our consumer society doesn't want to sell you a replacement carafe, it wants to sell you a whole new coffee maker. When your toaster breaks, do you take it to a toaster repairman? (Almost a quaint notion now.) No, you probably go buy a new one.

I could have spent $16 on the right sized carafe (except that they were out of stock of the size I needed -- conspiracy!), or for another $12 I could buy a whole new coffee maker -- way nicer than my old one. Earth Day is in two days, and I know what I should do. But come on! Look at all those cool buttons and stuff!

Oh, I am so weak.


It's so beautiful, shiny, and new ...


... but if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP