Dawn Escape
After drinking too much booze at the Waterman's Weekend Golf Tournament, I go easy in Las Vegas. Vikki and Nikki and I have a great meal at Envy and I'm back at the Hard Rock Hotel by 10:00 p.m., sober as a mortician.
At 1:00 a.m. there's a pounding on my door. I wake with a start, still in my clothes with my shoes on. I guess I had crashed out pretty hard. I ask who it is and get a loud reply of "Security!" Apparently, I had left my door cracked open. Thankfully, no one bothered me.
At dawn I check e-mail and shower and channel surf the large plasma screen bolted to the wall. I have time to kill, so I make my break. Forty minutes later my feet are crunching over gravel as I wander through Red Rock Canyon NCA, a blissful escape from the artificial excess of The Strip.
It's a "real" experience in the plastic land of the lotus eaters and although my hike doesn't last long, it re-centers me and invigorates me like nothing else could. A secret garden a thousand square miles in size, and it's all mine this morning. I'm back in time for my 9:00 a.m. breakfast meeting, and I carry the desert with me the rest of the long day.


0 comments:
Post a Comment