Starstruck
Pearl Jam's Ten was a huge album for me. Actually, that's an understatement.
After Chris Hilbert and I froze our butts off on Mt Rainier's Disappointment Cleaver in 1992, it was Evenflow that we cranked when we finally made it back to the parking lot. A month later, Barry and Lisa were about ready to kill me as I listened to Ten pretty much nonstop from Gainesville, Georgia to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
In fact, travel back to 1992, look over my shoulder, and it would be an even money bet that Ten would be playing.
So here I am in the lobby of the St Regis and lead singer Eddie Vedder is talking to me and I can't seem to make my mouth work right. He's here for the SIMA Waterman's Ball where he will receive the award for Environmentalist Of the Year. He seems humble, low-key, and friendly.
Nikki just bravely barged and asked for a photo, which I dutifully shot.
"Did you get it?" he asks me, nodding toward my camera.
"mmmn nnnug mmmmmm aaarcgggvv," I stammer.
He cocks an eyebrow and walks away with a grin.
Look really closely in the lens of his sunglasses and you can see me.
I swear.

Nikki gets the shot and I get a mouth full of marbles.
Eddie Vedder's extremely great acceptance speech here.
Click here for my photos of the super shindig.
Black still haunts.

0 comments:
Post a Comment