Thursday, October 19, 2006

To Everything There Is A Season

My staff are talented, smart, hardworking experts in their field. They are the crème of a small group of people able to talk authoritatively about the ten-billion dollar surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding industries.

They are all good, and all have opportunities to get better. Mentoring is part of my job that I enjoy -- seeing the green editor gain confidence and knowledge, watching the stories go from red-ink bloodbaths of copy-editing horror to smooth and rational, powerful reportage.

It ain't easy. It takes a long time. I usually ask for a two-year guarantee when I hire a new employee. I know I can't hold them to that promise, but two years is just about what it takes for them to come into their own.

Mentoring is very rewarding, but it's a long, hard process that I don't want to begin again.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP