Saturday, July 07, 2007

Lucky 7s

The remote is getting a workout today, even if I'm not.

Today, 07/07/07, is the start of the Tour De France as it kicks off with a short prologue stage through the streets of London. I know it's officially summer when I hear Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett's excited voices, extolling the Tail End Charile's to pick up the pace. So it makes me smile when I make it downstairs at 6:00 a.m. and flip on the TV. More than 150-million viewers tuned in worldwide to watch the 7.9 kilometer circuit past Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, and then back over Constitution Hill. Hincapie did great and Swiss rider Fabian Cancellara showed why he's the current world time trial champion.

Of course, the whole race got me fired up to go ride and also to go buy a new bike. It was a strong feeling until the other big event of the day caught my attention: Live Earth.

I really wanted this to be a success, for it to have the same sort of societal impact Live Aid had back in 1985. I don't think it did. The critics are already casting stones on whether the event was truly green or even a success. Some of the artists and crowd were un-informed and, yes, the concerts' carbon footprint is large. But a year ago, did you even know what a carbon footprint was? Even controversy moves the rowboat forward.

In my mind, it was a tremendous effort with more than 10 million people logging in to watch the concerts online, and a potential audience of two-billion worldwide. The roster of artists was a mile long and had something for just about everyone. No, it won't be the catalyst to overcome global apathy, but at least it was something.

0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP