Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yard Work



Christy pulls up stakes at 9:30 for her mom's house. I'm already in the front yard, futzing. I clean out the Vanagon, which had become a sand trap even Phil Mickelson would have trouble getting out of. I hose down the outside, which is also covered in sand and seawater from the kayak.

What next? Must stay busy. I drive big red -- nice and clean as she is -- down the coast to look at the surf. Miserable. Again. No, it's actually a smidge better, but the Saturday hordes have descended. Terramar is peaky but full of the Mongol Masses. Choked. The tide is too high at Ponto.

I buy Spook Country, the new William Gibson book, at Barnes & Noble, then head over to Home Depot, then La Costa Nursery. Adequately stocked, I weed and buff out the front yard so any random passersby will smile and take notice.

Feeling a sense of pride myself, I bite the bullet and head over to KRC Rock where I buy 590 pounds of boulders, load them up in the van (where they grind loudly around the curves). At home I plant them in the ground. By three I'm pooped.

Haven't eaten much all day except that Starbucks Coffee Cake low those many long hours ago. Evening comes. I head out for a drive, up to TransWorld, over to the O-side North Jetty, the strand, C-bad Village, skirt by home before heading all the way down the coast to Cardiff. It's a whole tour of my situational DNA, a topographical retinal scan of the last ten years.

It kills two hours and the sunset is nice.





0 comments:

Sitemeter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP